SET DESIGNER JOB POSTING
Celebrating its 33rd anniversary, Brave New Play Rites is an annual festival of new plays written by UBC Creative Writing students and produced at Studio 1398 on Granville Island.
We are seeking a Set Designer our Full Productions. The festival features two programs of 5 plays each. The plays are 10 to 15 minutes long and will be presented in a thrust stage. Budget for set and properties is $50. In the festival setting, we have many shows with limited backstage space, and there is a 60 to 90 second set change between shows. Creative minimalism is encouraged, since it is a black box theater.
The Set Designer will receive an honorarium of $100.
- Tue Nov 27 – Wed Nov 28: Interviews
- Wed Jan 02: Job Offer Goes Out
- Sun Jan 13: Festival Orientation and Auditions – 10:00 to 19:00
- Mon Jan 14: More Auditions – 18:00 to 20:30
- Wed Jan 23 to Sun Mar 9: Full Productions rehearsals with actors, 10-20 hours total, and Production Team communications and rehearsal visits
- Mon Feb 25: Final Cue List and Prop List due to Production Team
- Sun Mar 03: Paper Tech with Production Team
- Sat Mar 9 to Sun Mar 10: Full Productions Technical Rehearsals
- Mon Mar 11: Full Productions Dress Rehearsal
- Tues Mar 12, Thur Mar 14, Sat Mar 16: Full Productions Program 1 at 7:30pm
- Wed Mar 13, Fri Mar 15, Sun Mar 17: Full Productions Program 2 at 7:30pm
- Mon Mar 18: Invoice and Receipts Due
How to Apply:
Please include your name, phone number, a 50 word biography and your curriculum vitae.
Please put ‘SET DESIGNER SUBMISSION’ in the email subject line.
Please also indicate two or three potential interview times you are available from Nov 27-28
Due to the volume of submissions, only those invited to be interview will be contacted.
All are welcome to apply. We look forward to hearing from you!
– The 2019 Production Team