Brave New Play Rites Festival – March 9-17, 2019
Celebrating its 33nd anniversary, Brave New Play Rites is an annual festival of new plays written by UBC Creative Writing students and produced at Studio 1398 on Granville Island.
DIRECTOR JOB POSTING
Celebrating its 33rd anniversary, Brave New Play Rites is an annual festival of new plays written by UBC Creative Writing students and produced at Studio 1398 on Granville Island.
We are seeking 10 directors for our Full Productions and 2 directors for our Staged Readings Series.
The plays are 10 to 15 minutes each, are organized into two programs of 5 plays each, and will be presented in a thrust stage. Budget for set and properties is $50. In the festival setting, we have many shows with limited backstage space, and there is a 60 to 90 second set change between shows, so creative minimalism is encouraged. A set designer and dramaturg will assist with the production.
Directors will receive an honorarium of $150. Stage Reading Directors will receive an honorarium of $100.
- Tue Nov 27 – Wed Nov 28: Director Interviews
- Wed Jan 02: Director Job Offers Go Out
- Sun Jan 13: Festival Orientation and Auditions – 10:00 to 19:00
- Mon Jan 14: More Auditions – 18:00 to 20:30
- Wed Jan 16: Submit Casting Preferences – 12:00
- Sat Jan 19: Receive Casting – 12:00
- Wed Jan 23: Confirm Casting – 12:00
- Wed Jan 23 to Sun Mar 9: Full Productions rehearsals with actors, 10-20 hours total, and Production Team communications and rehearsal visits
- Sun Feb 10: Staged Reading Rehearsal – 12:00 to 17:00
- Mon Feb 25: Final Cue List and Prop List due to Production Team
- Wed Feb 27: All final scripts due to Production Team
- Sun Mar 03: Paper Tech with Production Team
- Sun Mar 04: Staged Reading Rehearsal – 12:00 to 17:00
- Sat Mar 9 to Sun Mar 10: Full Productions Technical Schedule
- Mon Mar 11: Full Productions Dress Rehearsal
- Tues Mar 12, Thur Mar 14, Sat Mar 16: Full Productions Program 1 at 7:30pm
- Wed Mar 13, Fri Mar 15, Sun Mar 17: Full Productions Program 2 at 7:30pm
- Sat Mar 16: Staged Readings Program 1 at 1:00pm
- Sun Mar 17: Staged Readings Program 1 at 1:00pm
- Mon Mar 18: Invoice and Receipts Due
- Festival auditions presenting a large pool of actors
- Free rehearsal space and performance venue
- Promotional materials and publicity
- A collaborative process with the playwright to continue developing a new work
- Producer support, technical crew and front of house staff
How to Apply:
Please include your name, phone number, a 50 word biography and your curriculum vitae.
Please put ‘DIRECTOR SUBMISSION’ in the email subject line.
Please also indicate two or three potential interview times you are available from Nov 27-28
Due to the volume of submissions, only those invited to be interview will be contacted.
All are welcome to apply. We look forward to hearing from you!
– The 2019 Production Team